HERNANDO’S RECYCLING PROGRAM
The city of Hernando has two recycling options available for homeowners and small businesses. The city offers curbside recycling once a week for a monthly fee of $3.94.
When you participate in curbside recycling your recyclables are picked up every week. Each participating household receives 1 – 95 gallon, blue cart with a green lid to place recyclables. No sorting required.
WHAT CAN BE RECYCLED?
Glass food and beverage bottles and jars of any color. Paper labels are acceptable as are rings and lids on glass containers.
- Tin/steel cans, tin-plated, food and beverage containers, all sizes; paper labels are acceptable.
- All plastics (codes 1 – 7 and plastic grocery bags). Examples are listed below:
- Plastic milk jugs
- Detergent bottles
- Soda bottles
- Dish washing soap bottles
- Shampoo bottles
- Motor oil and antifreeze containers are NOT acceptable. Tubs, pots, and trays are NOT acceptable.
Residential fiber consists of all clean and dry paper and cardboard, mixed in one bin. This includes:
- Newspapers and advertisement inserts
- Corrugated containers (cardboard)
- Paper bags
- Junk mail- envelopes with windows are acceptable
- Copy paper
- Note pad paper
- Non-corrugate cardboard, commonly used in dry food and cereal boxes, and other similar packaging. Boxboard with wax or plastic coating and boxboard that has been contaminated by food is NOT acceptable.
Hernando Recycling Collection Locations:
Hernando Library parking lot (paper/cardboard)- 370 West Commerce St.
WHY RECYCLING IS IMPORTANT– A MESSAGE FROM THE MAYOR
The city of Hernando recycles because we know it is the right thing to do– for our natural environment and for fiscal responsibility. Recycling conserves natural resources, saves landfill space, conserves energy (recycling aluminum, for example, takes 95% less energy than new aluminum from bauxite ore), and reduces water and air pollution. Everything that goes into a landfill stays there, taking up space. As waste breaks down- which can take hundreds of years- it releases the greenhouse gas, methane, and can emit many toxic pollutants into the water table. Keeping recyclable items out of the landfills keeps air and water cleaner, reduces the need for us to build new or expand landfills, and conserves resources by putting existing materials back to good use.
**To sign up for curbside recycling in Hernando, call the city at 662-429-9092.