City of Hernando Steps to Apply for a Business License
- Contact the City of Hernando, Office of Planningat 662-429-9092 or apply in person at 475 West Commerce Street, Hernando, MS 38632
- Apply for a Privilege License application
- Bring a signed lease for your business location
- Apply for a Use of Occupancy
- Submit the required state licenses or permits depending on the type of business you are operating
Applying for a Home Business
- Contact the City of Hernando Planning Department at 662-429-9092 or apply in person at 475 West Commerce Street, Hernando, MS 38632 Apply for a Privilege License (Business License) application
- Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy
- Submit the required permits depending on the type of business you are operating
State Licenses & Permits
Interested in starting a business? Nearly all businesses need some form of license or permit to operate legally. However, licensing and permit requirements vary depending on the type of business you are operating, where it’s located, and what government rules apply. For more information click the link to the U.S. Small Business Administration website: https://www.sba.gov/content/what-state-licenses-and-permits-does-your-business-need
The State of Mississippi does not license all businesses; however, your business may need state and/or local licenses or permits depending on the particular activity you are engaged in. The Mississippi Small Business Development Center provides links to some of the Mississippi agencies. You will also need to check with the City of Hernando, Office of Planning to determine local licensing requirements. The Small Business Administration has a Business License Permit Search tool to help identify the required licenses and permits. The official Mississippi government website maintains an incomplete list of professional licenses. Some (note, this is not a complete list) required licenses and web sites with information are:
- Automobile dealers Mississippi Motor Vehicle Commission
- Bail Bondsmen Licensing Licensing Division, Department of Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Permits Mississippi Department of Transportation
- Health Facilities Licensure and Certification Mississippi State Department of Health (includes child care and nursing homes plus others)
- Insurance Agents-Licensing Licensing Division, Department of Insurance
- Insurance Companies-Licensing Licensing Division, Department of Insurance
- Managed Care-Licensing Licensing Division, Department of Insurance
- Private Ambulance Service Mississippi State Department of Health
- Check Advance State Department of Banking and Consumer Finance
- Building Contractors Mississippi State Board of Contractors
- Restaurants/Catering Mississippi State Department of Health (any business that has a food service permit must also have the ServSafe Food Sanitation Certification)
- Mortgage Lenders and/or Mortgage Brokers (no specific license but important info on this site) State Department of Banking and Consumer Finance
- Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Mississippi State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
- Professional Geologists Mississippi State Board of Registered Professional Geologists
For permit applications, please visit www.mygovernmentonline.org.
Welcome to the Office of Planning. The mission of our office is to accomplish the highest quality of life for the citizens of Hernando by striving for constant improvement of the built environment and the conservation of natural and historic resources through growth management and sound sustainability practices.
The Office of Planning provides professional support to the Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, Urban Forest Advisory Board, and the Mayor and Board of Aldermen. In addition to planning, our office administers the building code and building inspections as well as enforces the City’s Zoning Ordinance through active code enforcement.
For building permits click here.